Skylight Leak Repair / Replacement
We Repair Leaky Skylights & Replace Them In Include:
A skylight is a pleasing roofing element. Throughout the day it makes it possible for natural light to light up a living space and also provides a pleasant view of the stars in the evening. Anytime it is slightly opened up, it additionally is excellent with regards to ventilation, allowing cool air inside and typically lowering your residential property or even commercial properties living temperature. In spite of these capabilities, a skylight can become the source of a serious leak. Due to the fact that a skylight is actually an independent unit from your roofing system and is constructed using many different materials, this can surely lead to many problems which, if not swiftly repaired, can cause a roofing system to deteriorate quickly.
• Poor Insulation - During cold weather, small droplets coming from a skylight does not always mean leaking; often times it is simply indoor moisture condensation against a cold glass pane. The reason this happens is often due to a lack of insulation. Even though the moisture is not from the outside, it can still cause damage.
• Loose Flashing - The frame for this particular feature is usually sealed to the bordering roofing materials utilizing thin metal sections called flashing that is secured with a sealant. Even though this is the correct product for the job, consistent exposure to the elements can cause it to loosen and allow water to leak in.
• Poor Glass Seal - This transparent, glass material is seated and sealed to the frame using rubber-like seals; however, most of these products turn brittle over time due to constant exposure to the sun. Eventually, it can form cracks and become a source of water leaks.
• Thermal Shock - A roof can expand when subjected to heat, which is known as thermal expansion. Because the skylight and frame are made from a different material than the roof, it will expand differently than the rest of the structure. The difference in this movement can cause gaps to form usually around the flashing, often leading to severe leaks.
If there are leaks before making any type of repairs since condensation can mimic a leak and repairs would be different, it is important to determine. Water could appear to be coming from the skylight when it is actually coming from another spot. Skylight Leak Tests should be performed to validate and eliminate other possibilities.
Any tests should be done during warmer weather so the roof is not slippery and dry. Take a hose up to the roof and run water from above the skylight so that all the flashing is soaked; then observe the underside for leaks. Any water below indicates a problem with the flashing. Next, run water directly over the glass. If water comes through gaps between the glass and framing, this means there is a glass seal problem.
The approach towards skylight repair on your home or business depends on what is causing the leak.
• Condensation - The best way to fix this issue is by injecting insulation foam into the space around the frame to prevent cold temperatures from causing this problem.
• Loose Flashing - First determine what has caused the flashing to loosen; is it from poor sealant, strong winds, or thermal shock. If sealant is the problem, then repairing it is simply a matter of reinstalling a durable sealant; for either of the other two issues, a professional roofer should be contacted since the problem could be in the roof itself.
• Glass Seal - This problem can be easily remedied by replacing the cracking seal with a silicone based one which has better resistance to brittleness and provides a better seal.
• Frame - This component should also be examined for any problems such as gaps or a cracked, brittle or loose rubber seal.
In summary, correcting leakages caused by malfunctioning skylights can be quickly repaired. It is just a matter of locating the source and patching it. In the event that you have a leaking skylight get in touch with your local area roof repair service provider these experts are equipped to address the maintenance and repair of any style of leaking skylight.